Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Valentine Contest

In the past year, I’ve been lucky to become close to a motley crew: the writers whose novels, like mine, were chosen by HarperVoyager in an “open call.”  These novels are a mixture of science fiction, fantasy, paranormal, and—like my own book SUPERVISION—YA. These writers are some of the kindest, funniest, wackiest, and most loyal people.  Despite being separated by genre, years, and oceans, we’re buds. 

And we’re playing a game this Valentine’s Day.

We’re running a contest.  We’ve written profiles of some of the characters from our novels, as if they were answering questions for a “dating profile” (some of them more reluctantly than others).  Take a look.  If you suggest a “match” for characters (from any book) you can win a prize.  Every author will be offering something.

My prize?  A free digital copy of SUPERVISION, a signed paperback of the book once those are released, AND an original, handmade graffiti art poster by an Appalachian street artist (SUPERVISION starts with graffiti...)

Leave a comment below (any comment) to enter.  Contest ends 2/18. EXTENDED TO  SUNDAY 3/1.

And even if you don’t want to enter the contest, here’s your sneak peak into some of the characters in SUPERVISION.  Yes, they cross time.  You’ll have to wait till April to figure out why.

Name: Dylan Black
Age: Excuse Me?
Birthplace: Ireland.
Parents’ Occupation: Unknown.
Residence: Above the stables.
Perfect Holiday: I’ve heard something about a Bourbon Trail.
Ideal Home: Within walking distance of pubs.
Perfect Date: I… I…
Favorite Childhood Memory: Once whisky was rubbed on my gums when I was teething.
Greatest Fear: Dark water.

Name: Martha Moore
Age: 19
Birthplace: Ireland.
Parents’ Occupation: Mother raises children and takes in laundry and sewing.  Father works in the mines.
Residence: Maid’s room up on the 4th floor.
Perfect Holiday: Everyone out of the house so I could catch up on some work.
Hobbies: Sewing, Darning, Laundry, Dusting.
Great Fear: That night in the kitchen.

Name: Louise Parker
Age: 14
Birthplace: Wellstone, PA.
Parents’ Occupation: Dad does some kind of business thing. Mom is just my mom, I guess? I don’t know what she does all day.  Actually, I don’t know what either of them do all day.
Residence: Completely bogus, PA.
Perfect Holiday: Seeing the Dead on the road.
Ideal Home: The hell away from PA.
First crush: Davy Jones.
Treasured Possession: My mood ring.
Perfect Date: Well, my date has to have a car.  And pick me up.  With flowers.  And buy me dinner.  I’m vegetarian.
Greatest Fear: Being forgotten, being lost.
A Childhood Memory: Being afraid to play in the woods.

Other HarperVoyager Authors with book blogs and Valentines: